Saturday, January 31, 2009

Feeling Crabby



Crab dip -- it's one of those foods I really hated as a kid. Like, until I was 26. But then some crab switch flipped in my brain and suddenly: crab dip, crab cakes, crab grass, bring it on! (That last one was a joke.)

My parents used to make crab dip at Christmas, so I've come to associate it with holiday time. I had some when I was home in December, but I decided to make it again this week -- even if it is out of season. What can I say? I like to live life on the edge.

Crab dip is super easy. You can eyeball all the ingredients and it's fun to mix (I like to use my hands). Also, I always use imitation crab meat, but feel free to use the real stuff if you're feeling flush.

Crabby Dip
  • 1 lb. crab meat or imitation crab meat
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • A big scoop or two of mayo (1/4 to 1/2 c.)
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • A clove or two of garlic, minced
  • A little ketchup or cocktail sauce (2 or 3 tbsp.)
Roughly chop the crab. Combine everything. Mix it up, baby. Put it in the fridge for a few hours so the flavors blend. Serve with crackers or those cute little pieces of toast.

The food: Crab dip
The verdict: It's not real crab, but it is real good

1 comment:

Rite Heah said...

Have you ever tried it with real crabmeat? I'm not so sure it would be the same dip you have become so fond of.

By the way -- very nice photography.