Crab dip -- it's one of those foods I really hated as a kid. Like, until I was 26. But then some crab switch flipped in my brain and suddenly: crab dip, crab cakes, crab grass, bring it on! (That last one was a joke.)
My parents used to make crab dip at Christmas, so I've come to associate it with holiday time. I had some when I was home in December, but I decided to make it again this week -- even if it is out of season. What can I say? I like to live life on the edge.
Crab dip is super easy. You can eyeball all the ingredients and it's fun to mix (I like to use my hands). Also, I always use imitation crab meat, but feel free to use the real stuff if you're feeling flush.
- 1 lb. crab meat or imitation crab meat
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- A big scoop or two of mayo (1/4 to 1/2 c.)
- 1 small onion, diced
- A clove or two of garlic, minced
- A little ketchup or cocktail sauce (2 or 3 tbsp.)
The food: Crab dip
The verdict: It's not real crab, but it is real good