Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Merry Christmas, Have Some Pumpkin Ice Cream


I've never been one to make Christmas lists, but I've been wanting an ice cream-making attachment for my KitchenAid stand mixer for about a year, so I did recently suggest that if Ben was running low on gift ideas, an ice cream maker under the tree would be most welcome.

Two weeks ago, while perusing CraigsList, I happened to find someone offering the attachment, brand new, for pretty cheap.  I couldn't resist the deal, so Christmas came early this year.

To celebrate the season, we made a batch of pumpkin ice cream from
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book.  All of the recipes begin with the sweet cream base (Vermont's finest ice cream makers offer three versions), then suggest ways to customize.  For this recipe, we added pureed pumpkin and a little bit of pumpkin pie spice.  It was really good.  Not as sweet as pumpkin pie, and not as rich as Goodberry's pumpkin custard (which is made with more eggs than ice cream), but very good and fun to make.

Next on our list to try is coffee.  Or a nice eggnog ice cream for the holidays.  Because frozen desserts aren't just for summertime.


Ben & Jerry's Pumpkin Ice Cream 
Makes 1 Quart

Whisk two eggs until light and fluffy, about two minutes.  Gradually whisk in 3/4 c. of granulated sugar until completely blended.  Add in 2 c. cream (heavy or whipping) and 1 c. milk.

Put about 1 c. of the milk mixture in a separate bowl and add 1 c. pureed pumpkin and 2 t. pumpkin pie spice.  Mix until blended, then whisk together pumpkin mixture and remaining milk mixture.  Transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.


The food: Pumpkin ice cream
The verdict: It's the great pumpkin ice cream, Charlie Brown

9 comments:

Ellen said...

YUM! YUM! YUM!

Matt LOVES to make homemade ice cream - one of my favs so far was a mint choc chip recipe he made. Lately, though, he makes a lot of soy ice cream for Lil. ;)

Sam@BingeNYC said...

Eggnog ice cream with some sort of spice pound cake? Christmas in a bite! Pumpkin ice cream sounds delish, I'm a sucker for all things pumpkin.

Gala said...

I wanna have that attachment sooo bad! I love ben & jerrys and I bet this recipe is gooood.

Shirley said...

Congratulations on getting the attachment! I love the B&J book, especially their chocolate ice creams.

Karly said...

That ice cream attachment is on my Christmas list too!

Pumpkin ice cream sounds pretty darn yummy right about now.

Tanya Miller said...

Well, sister. The picture alone is enough to convince me......

james said...

wow..amazing...!!
just think that, if pics are really awesome than how delicious the taste of it....!
and it w'll be easier with the making of ice cream maker

Danger Kitten said...

This ice-cream looks delicious! One of my favorite ice-creams is from a place called Peaches 'n Cream, and it's a pumpkin flavor they only make once per year...thanks for a recipe that I can use year-round!

Sugar Butter Baby said...

going to try this tonight! will report back :)