Saturday, November 28, 2009

Chutney: Much Prettier than Ocean Spray Jellied Cranberry Sauce






















Let me begin this post by explaining that I have nothing against cranberry sauce in a can.  (Hear that?  It's the collective gasp of serious cooks the world over.)  And I'm not even talking about the fancy, whole-berry stuff.  I like the plain old jellied cranberry, with the can ridges imprinted on it and all.

Here's the only problem with that stuff.  It doesn't look good on the table.  Even if you mash it up, which I did once.  You can ask my mom.  She was pretty annoyed.

So this year, I made cranberry-orange chutney — just as tasty as my beloved Ocean Spray canned cranberry sauce, but much lovelier.  And it's easy.  Put everything in a pot.  Stir.  And that's about it.


Cranberry-Orange Chutney (adapted from a recipe in Our State)
  • 12 oz. cranberries
  • 1 large orange, peeled and chopped into small pieces
  • 1 c. currants
  • 3/4 c. light brown sugar
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1 t. ginger
  • 1/2 t. ground cloves
  • 3/4 t. salt
  • 1 c. apple cider
  • 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
Mix all ingredients in a heavy pot and cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Cool; serve chilled.  Makes about 2 1/2 cups.


There are lots of great ways to eat chutney.  At Thanksgiving, consider it another side and scoop it up with forkfuls of stuffing.  Last night, I spread some on my turkey-mayo-potato bread sandwich.  And today, I'm planning on using it as a dip for some leftover-turkey samosas.

The food: Cranberry-orange chutney
The verdict: A great alternative to canned cranberry sauce when you're looking to really class it up

3 comments:

MollyCookie said...

Mmm. That sounds really good and perfect for this season. With all the parties and things approaching this is going to work beautifully! Thanks for sharing!

Ellen said...

I agree - sounds DELISH. I'm still awaiting the verdict on the turkey recipe... ;) Thanks for sharing this recipe, I think I might try it for Christmas dinner. :)

jasonthemason said...

I like my cranberry with the can ridges intact. Slicing is an option, but the can shape must be preserved.