Friday, June 5, 2009

Popovers



Sue and Peter recently sent me something I've been wanting for a while: a popover pan. Popovers are awesome because they are two things I love: bread and fluffy. I also like them because they give you the chance to invite someone to "pop over for a popover, pip pip!" Well, I guess you wouldn't have to say "pip pip" if you didn't want to.

Popovers are an interesting type of bread because they rise because of all the liquid in the batter, not because of any leavening agent. After they're baked, you'll find they are hollow -- a great place to put butter, jelly, jam, butter, honey or butter. They're also great with butter.

For my first time out, I used the trusty popover recipe from The Joy of Cooking. It's pretty basic -- milk, butter, flour, salt and eggs. Some recipes recommend starting with a cold oven, but this one suggested a preheat, so preheat I did. I've been told either method will work, though, so I guess it's a matter of taste. All ingredients should be at room temperature before you begin making the batter.

For my next batch, I'm going to add cheese and herbs to the batter -- I think savory popovers would be great with soup.


Basic Popovers (from The Joy of Cooking)
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 T. butter, melted
  • 1 c. flour
  • 1/4 t. salt
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
Mix together the milk, butter, flour and salt until just smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, being careful not to overbeat. Fill six greased popover cups about three-quarters full (don't overfill) and bake immediately in a preheated 450 degree oven. After 15 minutes, lower the temperature to 350 degrees (without opening the oven). Bake about 20 minutes longer or until done. Serve immedately. Or if you're going to keep a few until later, pierce the tops to allow steam to escape. But I'd serve immedately. Cold popovers are kind of weird.


The food: Popovers
The verdict: So good, pip pip!

5 comments:

Mike said...

Pip, pip???

Ellen said...

You are SO FUNNY! LOL I have never made popovers, if you can believe it. I have always wanted to try them, though. They sound delish - and hey, are they good w/ butter? LOL

oneordinaryday said...

Mmm. These sound and look delicious.

Anonymous said...

These are Yorkshire Puddings from the UK try them with roast beef & horseradish they are even better.

Sarah@buttered-up.com said...

These look really good. Why shouldn't you overbeat the eggs?